On 10 February 2014 the Heavy Vehicle National Law 2012 (HVNL) commenced, replacing existing laws governing the operation of all vehicles over 4.5 tonnes gross vehicle mass in Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia, Australian Capital Territory and Tasmania.
The NHVR will provide streamlined and practical operations for heavy vehicle access, accreditation, vehicle standards and fatigue management, and will continue to take measures to evolve into your one-stop-shop for heavy vehicle road transport business with government. The NHVR will continue to manage NHVAS accreditation and PBS design and vehicle approvals
The NHVR will be delivering the following services in those states and territories where the law has commenced:
- issuing permits for heavy vehicle access, together with new forms for access applications
- NHVAS approvals
- PBS vehicle design and vehicle access approvals
- consistent compliance and enforcement
- a new risk classification system for advanced fatigue management
- vehicle inspection standards
For more information, visit www.nhvr.gov.au.